Wisteria - a flower of amazing beauty
Flowering wisteria is a delightful sight, striking imagination with beauty, tenderness and grace of long multicolored brushes, rushing down a luxurious, lush waterfall of flowers. This plant is so magnificent that the Japanese identified a walk through the garden of flowering wisteria with a paradise on Earth.
Growing wisteria is actively used by gardeners to create vertical dominants in the planting of greenery, as its flower has an exceptional decorative appearance, and the culture itself occupies a minimum of area on the site. In addition, the inflorescences emit a wonderful fragrant smell, which many will like.
Varieties and their features
Wisteria, or wisteria, allows not only to decorate vertical supports, walls, but also fences and structures - it can easily disguise those parts in the garden that look unpresentable, demarcate space on the site and close the required areas from sunlight and gusts of wind.
The genus of this planting includes 9 species, however, only some of them are widespread:
- Chinese wisteria. This is a vine with thick, strong leaves that can reach 20 m in height. Inflorescences most often have a whitened lilac or white hue, the flowers of the inflorescence grow up to 30 cm in length. Flowers begin to bloom almost simultaneously with the appearance of the leaves, and flowering can continue throughout the summer season. Sometimes flowering repeats - it happens from late August to mid-September.
The graceful feathers of the foliage add to the appearance of the plantation a special decoration, and in the fall their golden color becomes a real decoration of the site. It tolerates short winters without severe frosts and perfectly adapts to the urban environment;
- Multicolor variety. The culture was bred in Japan and can reach up to 10 m in height and 5-6 m in width. Brushes inflorescences rather large, falling, resemble a cone in shape. Flowers predominantly violet-blue color, blossom alternately, starting from the base, and gradually descend lower.
Flowering begins after the appearance of the leaves, until mid-June, but repeated flowering also occurs during the period July-August.This variety is more decorative and frost-resistant than the Chinese version, and it has more variations of shades: there are pink, purple and white inflorescences. In addition, the multi-flower variation can be high-leaved and variegated.
- Blue moon. This variation is the most frost-resistant - it is able to withstand frosts up to 37º C without shelter. The pedigree of this variety is from the USA, flowering in the middle lane begins in June and lasts 2-3 weeks. Inflorescences of wisteria reach 25-30 cm along the length and most often are of a blue shade.
- Japanese variety. It is much less widespread due to its low frost-resistant characteristics: it grows only in a warm climate - in Georgia and in the Crimea.
How to plant and grow wisteria?
Planting plants in two ways:
- Cuttings (layering) in the spring-summer season. For cuttings shoots are selected-one-year olds about 25 cm long. Rooting is done in a mixture of turf soil, humus, river sand and peat. In late August, rooted cuttings can be planted in the ground.
- Seeds. This method requires considerable effort and patience.Seeds are planted in greenhouses or greenhouses in late November and early December, or immediately in open ground in the garden in the spring. The soil must be loose and consist of sod and leaf earth and sand.
To maintain a high level of humidity, crops are closed with glass or polyethylene. Seedlings usually appear no earlier than 3-4 weeks, after which the seedlings are taken to a lighted place and swooped when the first two leaves appear.
Growing Wisteria requires a special approach. In order for her to grow up healthy and fluffy, you should provide her with the following conditions:
- constant sun illumination - at least half a day;
- strong support on which the liana will subsequently grow;
- constant moderate soil moistening. Do not be too zealous - abundant watering can harm the plant;
- light soil rich in nutrients;
- active feeding once a week during the formation of buds;
- warm shelter for the winter, including warming and basal area;
- Regular two-time pruning: the first time when the vine has faded and the second - after the leaves fall. In autumn it is necessary to cut the side branches, leaving 3 to 5 buds.
If the climate of the area does not allow growing the plantings on the open ground, you can plant it in pots as standard trees. With the onset of cold weather, it is necessary to bring them into a room with a temperature of 7 to 10º C and ensure economical watering.
In spring, the shoots of these trees should be pruned to 3 buds, thus forming a beautiful crown. As soon as summer comes, wisteria can again be brought to the air, continuing to periodically water it.
How to take care of the vine?
Care of the plant implies compliance with a number of rules:
- it should not be forgotten that a liana grown from a seed blooms only after 7-8 years, and store seedlings can survive up to 4-5 years before flowering. As soon as there is a tendency to blossom, it is necessary to fertilize the tree trunk every week;
- Watering the wisteria should be regular, but not abundant;
- it happens that the planting does not bloom for several years in a row. To fix this, you need to saturate the soil with potassium top dressing, avoiding nitrogen varieties - nitrogen most often affects the intensive development of foliage;
- pruning should not be done less than 2 times a year, while in winter no manipulations should be performed due to the formation of buds;
- in the autumn period, it is necessary to remove all dead branches that hinder the young shoots.
Observing these simple rules, in your own area you will soon be able to admire the wisteria with lush inflorescences that produce a delicious aroma.
How to become the most fashionable in the world
How to make a red bridal bouquet
Rent an apartment for a day
Wedding box for money or rings
Learning letters - how to help a child learn them quickly and easily
Cold rolling tomato for the winter - recipe
What is the estimate
Jeans - flared back. What is it to wear them with?