What is procrastination and how to get rid of it forever?
If you are accustomed to postpone all cases and problems "in the long box", then for sure you do not even suspect that you are sick. No, no, nothing terrible will happen to you, since the disease is psychological in nature. It is called procrastination. And what is it? And how to deal with this problem?
What it is?
Procrastination is a condition in which a person postpones business for later, even if he realizes their importance and understands that they need to be made as soon as possible.
From English this word translates as "delay." Some psychologists consider this condition a disease, as it can lead to rather unpleasant, serious and even painful psychological effects.
Many will consider that this phenomenon is similar to laziness, but in case of laziness, a person simply does not want to do anything and does not worry about it at all, he does not even try to start a business.With procrastination, the person takes on the work, realizes its importance, but believes that it is better to start the business later. In part, this condition is characteristic of many, and its minor manifestations are considered normal.
But when procrastination turns into a normal and normal state, it becomes a real problem, it interferes with work and even lives (after all, not only the fulfillment of duties, but also many other important events such as marriage, family creation, doctor's appointment, etc.) are postponed.
How to determine that procrastination has become a problem for you and bothers you? Key features:
- The procrastinator is constantly distracted while performing his duties. For example, he can start conversations with colleagues, constantly view messages on the phone, smoke, go to the toilet or drink tea.
- It takes a lot of time to solve even the simplest problems.
- People prone to procrastination, never have time to finish work on time. And when the “deadlines are tight”, they either refuse to work or begin to try to do it in a short time. As a result, of course, there will be no qualitative result.
- Because of the breakdown of the deadlines, such people often feel guilty, reproach themselves, promise to do everything on time. But the situation still does not change.
- Procrastinators may be afraid of responsibility, difficult tasks, large amounts of work.
- Many of the people who are constantly in this state are not self-confident, have low self-esteem.
- A procrastinator constantly justifies himself and comes up with a great many reasons for postponing affairs.
Such a psychological problem as procrastination can occur for a variety of reasons. Here are some of them:
- Unloved work. If a person works without pleasure or even with disgust, then it is logical that he will try to put things off for later, hoping that later he will have more desire and strength.
- Unorganized. If a person does not know how to plan his time, he will constantly pull, believing that everything will be in time.
- Anxiety, stress, fears. If you are constantly in a state of stress, then you just go to work, draw up a plan and tune in to complete the task.
- Diffidence. Self-doubtful people are initially set up for failure and do not believe that everything will work out.Why start doing work right now, if all the same in the end nothing happens?
- Perfectionism. All perfectionists strive for the ideal and tend to bring everything to perfection. As a result, unreasonable nitpicking to detail as the task is completed leads to the fact that the work is not performed on time.
- Lack of motivation and incentives. In other words, if the employee simply does not understand what he is doing and, more importantly, why, he will not strive to do everything on time.
- Lack of knowledge and skills required to perform the job. If a person does not know how to properly perform their duties, then he will postpone work until later.
If you do not solve the problem on time, then you can just ruin your life. Pathological procrastinators often do not have a good job. Accordingly, income is low, which negatively affects the quality of life. Such people are not self-confident, constantly experiencing stress, experiencing.
And all this, of course, will interfere with building a personal life, creating a family. For this reason, procrastinators are often lonely, deprived of attention, care and love.In general, the consequences can be the most serious and sad.
How to solve a problem?
How to get rid of procrastination?
- Treatment should begin with an awareness of the problem. Admit to yourself that you are a procrastinator. Let this difficult word not frighten you, the main thing is to realize the essence of the problem and look into the root. If you think that everything is in order, it will not work to get rid of the problem.
- Learn to plan. You can make a to-do list for the day. First of all, you need to solve the most complex and urgent problems, then more simple ones. You can also set a time frame. In this case, you will strive to fit in and hurry.
- Learn to prioritize. First, try to do the most difficult things in the morning, when there is still enough energy. Secondly, if you suddenly want to drink tea, think about whether it is important now? After all, there are more priority tasks. Yes, and a cup of tea will be appropriate and will give pleasure after the work done.
- Set goals and strive to achieve them. First let them be insignificant. Then gradually set more and more complex goals to develop and strive.
- To defeat the problem, teach yourself to discipline and observe the regime of the day. Paint everything by the minute and try not to deviate from the frame. Do not waste a lot of time on habitual affairs (brushing your teeth, dressing), hurry.
- If the task seems difficult and practically impossible to you, cheat. Simply divide it into several smaller tasks and perform them one by one. In the end, you yourself will not notice how to do the work.
- If it is impossible to change the situation, change your attitude towards it. Do not take duties as routine. Turn them into a kind of game. Make your life easier and more varied.
- If you experience fear, find out its causes and eliminate them. For example, if you are experiencing because of the risk of failure, then just understand for yourself that even in the event of failure, life will not end.
- Have a rest. If you overwork, it is not surprising that you do not have time to finish the work. Do not plan anything for the weekend. Get enough sleep, go for a walk, do what you love.
- If what you do does not cause you anything other than disgust, then think about changing your job or even your occupation.Do not be afraid of change, they can make your life better!
- If you are a perfectionist in life, then teach yourself to bring the matter to the end first, and then focus on the minor flaws.
- Before you begin work, prepare the necessary materials and tools, as well as the necessary information.
- Try to work in a team. The opinion and attention of others may stimulate you and make you hurry and not be distracted.
- Do not go without need to social networks while performing duties.
Good luck in the fight against procrastination. Let the tips help you cope with this problem!
Knitted socks with jacquard pattern
How to remove varnish from hair
How to lose weight after the New Year holidays
What to do if the husband earns less Ask psychologists
How to deal with aphids on seedlings, folk remedies for aphids
How to fashion hair color in 2017: the 8 best techniques