Tips for choosing the perfect knives for the kitchen
We use knives in the kitchen almost every day, and therefore the convenience, speed and safety of cooking depends on their quality. And so that the use of this subject brings only pleasure, responsibly approach its choice.
For cutting different products are completely different knives. Here are their main types:
- A universal knife usually has a blade length of 13-15 centimeters, and is used to cut a variety of products. These are the knives most often chosen by housewives.
- Chef's knife is considered the most popular and, most importantly, very convenient. It can be used to cut vegetables in any way, and to cut fish or even meat. The length of its blade is usually about 18-23 centimeters, and its width varies within 2-4 centimeters. The blade is even and smooth. And it is precisely these sizes and shapes that make cutting easy and fast.
- The bread knife has a narrow and long blade with waves or notches, which allows you to cut soft bread, as it were, and not crush it.
- Knife-hatchet has a wide, short and rather heavy blade, which makes it easy to chop meat and even chop bones.
- The knife for fruits and vegetables has a not very long blade with a sharp tip, which allows to remove the cores and poor quality areas (the so-called "eyes").
- Fish loin knife has a narrow, flexible and fairly long blade, tapering towards the end.
- The knife for slicing cheese or sausage has a fairly long and wide along the entire length of the sharp blade.
- The knife for cutting meat from the stone is different blade, expanding at the base and tapering towards the end.
- Popular is the so-called "kitchen trio", which includes three knives. The first is similar to a cook and has a wide and long sharp blade, the second is medium in size, and the third is the smallest.
If you are cooking a variety of dishes and you yourself are cutting fish and meat, then you should purchase a set that includes several knives at once.
Of what do?
Today knives make two basic materials:
- Stainless steel. It does not corrode, so it will not rust, even with constant contact with moisture.The price of steel knives is affordable, so they are popular. Steel is a rather soft metal, so if the blade is thin, it can bend and deform when cutting hard products. In addition, this material is quickly blunt, so that the knife will often have to sharpen. And still the steel knife quickly absorbs any odors and can transfer them from product to product. And to remove, for example, the "aroma" of onions will not be easy. And this is due to the porous structure of the metal. Sometimes steel knives are coated with chrome plating, which reduces flexibility as well as increases corrosion resistance and prolongs service life.
- Ceramic knives are very popular today, and this is not surprising. Firstly, they are very, very durable, so that it is almost impossible to bend them. Secondly, the blade is practically not dull and retains its properties 10-15 times longer than steel, which means that it is extremely rare to sharpen the knife if it is necessary. Thirdly, ceramics are much lighter than any metal, which makes using a knife as comfortable as possible. Fourth, a ceramic knife will never rust and oxidize.And, fifthly, this material has practically no pores and, therefore, does not absorb and does not retain odors. In addition, thanks to this structure, the device is easy to clean. But there are some drawbacks. The first is the high price. The second is relative fragility. So, if a ceramic knife with a thin blade falls from an impressive height (even from the table), then it can break. It is worth noting that not all products can be cut with such a device. For example, it is not suitable for cutting meat (especially with bones), and also for cutting very solid products. In addition, it is not recommended to sharpen a ceramic knife on its own, as it can be damaged if it is operated incorrectly.
How to choose a good kitchen knives? Since the working surface is a blade, then special attention should be paid to it.
The most important points:
- Assess the surface of the blade. It should be perfectly smooth. If it has dents, bumps, waves or chips, the device will not be of high quality. In addition, the blade in no case should not expand to the tip, this part should be very thin and sharp.
- The most durable and sharp forged blades, as they are made at elevated temperatures, and heating increases durability and resistance.
- Rate sharpening. There are several options. The first and most common is wedge-shaped. The blade looks like a wedge that narrows to the point and expands at the back. In this way today almost all knives used in kitchens are sharpened. The wedge-shaped knife will be made of one sheet of metal. It is much less common to use the chamfer sharpening, which is used when the blade consists of two separate parts. Such a knife will be thin and uniform in length and width, so that it is very convenient for them to cut products into thin slices. Also used and laser sharpening. But the laser, rather, does not sharpen the blade, but it glows it, which greatly increases the strength. Recognize such a device can be matte risk, located perpendicular to the point.
No less important is the handle, since it is she who is responsible for the convenience of using the device. The handle can be made of wood, metal, rubber or hardened resin.Wood cracks with time, absorbs fat and other contaminants, and also swells when exposed to moisture.
Plastic is resistant to dirt and moisture, but not very durable. The metal is durable, but makes the device heavier. The rubber is easy to use, but over time the handle may collapse.
Rate and shape the pen. It should be such that the device fits in the hand, tightly captured and does not slip.
Other important points
There are a few more important points that you should pay attention to when buying a knife:
- Mounts. The most reliable option is rivets. But they certainly must be polished. In addition, they can not go beyond the handle, in this case, the use will be inconvenient. If the handle is one-piece, then the blade must go into it at least two-thirds. You can also find models whose handles consist of two parts (one on each side of the blade). Check the strength of the mountings. Parts of the device should not move freely.
- The weight. If the knife is too heavy, then it will be extremely inconvenient to use it. Before buying it is advisable to hold the device in your hand.
- Ideally, the weight of the handle should be approximately equal to the weight of the blade.To find out the mass of the parts, place the knife in the place of their connection on the finger and evaluate the balance.
- Appearance. You can find both standard and original models. It all depends on personal preference.
How to get a military card
Eva Luna knitting jacket
Insaniti - fitness for quick weight loss
The chief tyrant: how to survive
How to connect WI-FI router
How to make masks from kiwi
The museum in New York offered Donald Trump to pick up the golden toilet instead of the Van Gogh painting
How to cook sushi