Lowering the sensitivity of teeth
It is difficult to find someone who would not like to eat tasty food, but a sudden toothache can prevent us from enjoying this process. Very often it occurs when we eat or drink something very hot or cold.
This is due to the increased sensitivity of our teeth to sudden temperature changes, as well as to all sorts of food stimuli containing acids, such as citrus fruits, wine, etc.
This toothache gives a lot of discomfort, and therefore many are wondering how can you reduce the sensitivity of the teeth?
First, let's see what it is and find out the reasons for its occurrence.
Our tooth consists of several layers: enamel (outer layer), dentin, dental cement and pulp, or the so-called nerve. Hypersensitivity of the teeth or hyperesthesia occurs when the enamel becomes thinner and the dentin underneath appears on the surface. This layer has a spongy structure, which is permeated with dentinal tubules.
They include pulp processes, which are also called nerve endings. Thus, in those places where there is no enamel on the tooth, any changes in the environment, whether it is temperature or acidity, instantly cause pain. And the more dentin is exposed, the more toothache.
The causes of hyperesthesia may be as follows:
- Mechanical damage to enamel such as chips, microcracks and punctures. They can occur if you use a toothbrush that is too stiff or that you regularly use toothpicks. A high probability of hyperesthesia in those who like to chew on seeds or nuts. In addition, microcracks in the teeth can occur if you have such bad habits as nail nibbling or clenching of teeth.
- Chemical damage to enamel, which occurs due to impaired acid-base balance in the oral cavity. Excessive consumption of sour, sweet and carbonated drinks can lead to thinning of the enamel. In addition, the reason for this can be unhealthy diet, and the absence in your diet, foods rich in vitamins A, E, C and D, as well as calcium, phosphorus and fluoride.If you have an increased sensitivity of teeth, then it is better to refuse from freshly squeezed juices, especially from citrus fruits, as well as from chocolate, wine, champagne and sweet carbonated drinks. All these products lead to the washing out of calcium from the teeth.
- Disturbance of the structure of the dentin in the cervical area of the tooth. This is due to the fact that in this place the thickness of the enamel is very small. It is only 0.01 mm, while the thickness of the enamel on the chewing surface of the tooth is 1.62-1.7 mm. If you have sore gums, you suffer from periodontitis or periodontitis, then the tooth is exposed in the cervical area, and the enamel is very quickly erased at this place. In addition, this can occur if you use too hard a toothbrush, as well as a whitening paste containing a large number of abrasive particles and chemical elements that destroy the enamel and lead to atrophy of the gums.
- Sharp temperature drops. If you eat something hot, you should not drink this cold drink. This can lead to microcracks in the enamel. In addition, a painful reaction to eating too hot or cold food may occur due to inflammation of the pulp.
- Non-compliance with the rules of oral hygiene. If you brush your teeth less often than twice a day, then in the mouth of the mouth begin to multiply the bacteria that produce acid that can eat away the tooth enamel.
- Professional teeth cleaning. Being under a layer of hard dental deposits, the enamel does not receive such important elements as calcium, fluorine and phosphorus. When this plaque is removed, the neck of the teeth are not protected from the effects of irritants, and therefore there is a toothache.
- Smoking. In tobacco smoke is a large number of poisons that destroy the enamel of the tooth. Therefore, smokers are more susceptible to hyperesthesia than non-smokers.
In addition, the causes of tooth sensitivity may be internal. This may be due to heredity, genetic diseases. Lack of calcium in the body can be observed due to serious avitominozy or pregnancy. Hormonal imbalance can also lead to thinning of the enamel.
But if you have a tooth sensitivity after a recent visit to the dentist, this may indicate his poor quality work.If the pain does not go away after a few days, and the gum begins to swell, i.e. an abscess appears, it is urgently necessary to consult a qualified doctor.
How to reduce the sensitivity?
In this case, only a dentist can find out the reason and prescribe the correct treatment.
So you can not avoid meeting him. The doctor will examine the oral cavity and eliminate all defects: caries, tartar, pulpitis, etc. If after this tooth sensitivity remains, the dentist may prescribe a treatment aimed at strengthening the enamel. There are several ways to reduce tooth sensitivity:
1. Reminalizing therapy. The teeth are processed with a preparation that enriches the enamel with calcium. After that, they are applied with fluoride. Due to this enamel becomes more resistant to all kinds of acids and less washed away.
One of the best drugs used to treat hyperesthesia is the "Enamel-Sealing Liquid Tiefenfluorid" (Germany). It consists of two components: calcium hydroxide and highly active fluorine. Enamel is processed by them in turn. A couple of procedures are enough for full recovery.
2. Iontophoresis.This method consists in the fact that drugs are injected into the tooth tissue under the influence of small charges of the galvanic current. After that special caps are put on, in which there are substances that lower the sensitivity of the teeth.
3. Applying fluoride varnish. It is able to adhere to the enamel for a long time and saturate it with fluorine.
4. The application of the drug Fluocol. It changes the structure of enamel, increasing its durability.
5. Gluing the Diplén film to the teeth and gums. It contains a hydrophilic layer, which consists of drugs. After the first procedure, the sensitivity of the teeth is noticeably reduced.
All these medications must be applied at a dentist’s appointment, but pain relief can be reduced at home. Of course, it will take much more time, but it is unnecessary to once again visit the doctor.
So, at home to reduce hyperesthesia, you need to brush your teeth with special toothpaste for sensitive teeth. The most effective of them are Sensodin F, PRESIDENT Sensitive, Lacalut Extra Sensitive, and others.
In addition, homemade gels, such as R.O.C.S.-gel or Elmex-gel, can be used at home.
Secrets of grandmothers
Also, to reduce the sensitivity of the teeth, you can use folk remedies.Of course, they will not solve the problem, but they will help to remove painful feelings. It is also worth remembering that the effect of their use is short-lived, so be sure to find out the cause of hyperesthesia and eliminate it.
So, to reduce the sensitivity of teeth to cold, hot, sour, etc., you can rinse your mouth in the morning and in the evening with special decoctions:
- From oak bark or calamus root. To prepare them you need two tablespoons of raw materials, pour boiling water (2 cups) and boil it all in a water bath until the amount of liquid decreases by half.
- From chamomile and sage. One tablespoon of raw material is poured with one glass of boiling water and infused for an hour.
In addition, it very well strengthens the gums and enamel, removes unpleasant odor and fights tea germs in the mouth cavity. For rinsing, you need to stir three drops of oil carefully in one glass of water.
Also, if you suffer from sensitive teeth, you need to adhere to the following rules:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and rinse your mouth after eating.
- Use a soft toothbrush and toothpaste without bleaching effect.
- Regularly visit the dentist twice a year, even if nothing bothers you.
- Healthy food. In your diet, you must necessarily have foods rich in vitamins A, C, E and D, as well as elements such as calcium and fluoride. Therefore, eat more sea fish, liver, nuts, apples, carrots, milk, etc. And it is better to refuse citrus.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes in food and beverages.
- Stop smoking.
We wish you that your teeth always remain healthy!
Angry Birds Salt Dough Birds
How to get to Brest
Mother Prokhor Shalyapin was accepted for his new beloved
How much does a home bar cost and is it needed
How to wean a child to bite nails