How to cook homemade marmalade from different foods?
Desserts are a separate part of cooking that deserves the attention of sweets. But instead of buying not the most useful and delicious sweets in stores, you can cook something original and delicious at home. If you like marmalade, then just wonder how easy it is to do at home.
A bit of history
If you believe one of the legends, for the first time marmalade appeared in Scotland. The queen of this state ordered her chef to candied oranges. He was a little surprised, but the order was executed.
But suddenly the maid came and said that Queen Mary was sick and lost her appetite, so she wouldn't try the dessert. The upset cook offered a dainty to the maid, and she gladly ate it, repeating the phrase “Marie malade”, which translates as “Marie ill.” So this dessert and its name appeared.
Gradually, marmalade became popular in the UK and other countries. From different languages the name is translated differently.In French it sounds roughly like "overcooked, boiled." In many English-speaking countries, this word refers only to citrus fruit jam. And from German it is translated as "jam, jam".
What is it and what is it made from?
Marmalade is called a sweet dish made from fruits or berries with added sugar, as well as a variety of thickeners. Ingredients such as agar-agar, pectin or gelatin can be used as thickeners.
But some of them are contained in certain fruits, so that their addition in this case becomes optional. Fruits and berries are not the limit for real chefs who can cook amazingly delicious marmalade even from vegetables.
How to do?
How to cook delicious marmalade at home? We offer you a few interesting options.
Option number 1
Simply and quickly you can prepare an appetizing marmalade from jam. Here's what it takes:
- 2 glasses of any jam;
- 1 lemon;
- 20 grams of gelatin;
- ½ cup water.
- First prepare the gelatin. Just fill it with water and leave it to swell.
- While gelatin swells, go to the jam. It must be wiped through a sieve, passed through a meat grinder or chopped on a blender. This is necessary in order to make the marmalade homogeneous and did not have lumps.
- Cut the lemon into two halves, squeeze out the juice.
- Put the jam in a saucepan with a thick bottom, put it on a slow fire. When the mass begins to boil, gently pour in it gelatin, while everything is thoroughly mixing.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice to the composition, mix everything again.
- Spread the mass over the molds and put it in the refrigerator for freezing.
Option number 2
An unusual spicy marmalade, which is so popular in some European countries, can be prepared from onions. List of ingredients:
- 2 kg of red onions (it is better to use it, because the onion is bitter);
- 300 ml of red wine;
- 100 ml of olive oil;
- 150 grams of honey (it is better to use liquid, but not candied);
- 150 grams of sugar;
- 2 branches of thyme;
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds.
- Onions clean, wash and cut into half rings or in any other convenient way.
- In a fairly deep frying pan, heat up the olive oil.Then lay the onion and fry it until it is clear and soft. But to darken and burn it should not!
- Put all the spices in cheesecloth, make a bag of it and place it in the onion. The taste of herbs will go into the dish, but there will be no twigs and grains in the finished marmalade.
- Now you can put sugar and honey in the pan. After that, mix everything thoroughly.
- Warm up the wine (it should be quite hot) and pour into the frying pan.
- Now reduce the heat to minimum and simmer the mass without a lid until it becomes thick and volatile.
- Ready marmalade can be cooled and served. It goes well with fish and meat dishes. And some people use it in pure form.
Option number 3
This recipe assumes use as the main component of pumpkin. To prepare you will need:
- 500 grams of fresh pumpkin;
- 250 grams of sugar;
- 3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Pumpkin should be peeled and peeled. Then either boil it or steam it. The second option is more preferable, since it allows to preserve the taste and maximum of useful substances.
- Now chop the pumpkin with a blender or meat grinder. It should be a homogeneous mass.
- Put the pumpkin puree in a saucepan with a thick bottom, add sugar and lemon juice and cook the mass until thick.
- Move the ready and slightly cooled mass to a rectangular shape. The thickness of the layer should not exceed 2-3 centimeters. To easily separate the composition from the bottom, cover it with parchment, cling film or foil.
- Clean the form in a cool place or in the fridge for a day.
- Cut the frozen layer into cubes or any other shapes, roll each of them in sugar.
- Useful and tasty delicacy is ready!
Option number 4
Prepare delicious apple marmalade. You will need:
- 1-1.5 kg of apples;
- 0.5 kg of sugar.
- Peel and grate apples on a fine grater.
- Applesauce mashed in a saucepan with a thick bottom, put it on fire.
- Add sugar, mix everything. Boil the mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Cool the mass and transfer it to a flat shape, covered with parchment or food film soaked in oil.
- Send the form to the fridge overnight to make the marmalade freeze.
Option number 5
Incredibly delicious will be an orange marmalade. Ingredients:
- 1 lemon;
- 700 grams of oranges;
- 500 grams of sugar.
- Peel oranges, divide into slices, remove all films so that only the flesh remains.
- Put the skins in a bag of gauze, they will be needed to give the dessert flavor.
- Put the orange pulp and the bag with the peel in the pan, put it on a slow fire.
- When the pulp begins to boil, add lemon juice and sugar.
- Boil the mass until thick.
- Remove the bag and spread the cooled composition into ice molds. Put them in the fridge overnight.
Secrets of cooking delicious marmalade:
- You can make marmalade from almost any fruit and berries, so do not be afraid to experiment.
- If you use gelatin or a thickener, then during the dilution and preparation follow the instructions on the package, otherwise the marmalade will either not harden, or it will be too hard.
- If you want to make bright colored marmalade, use natural fruit juices or food coloring.
- Do not immediately remove hot marmalade in the fridge, it will harden.First you need to cool it, and only then put it in the cold.
Jewelry like a modern princess
Pillowcases from old jeans
How much does a home bar cost and is it needed
How to choose a quality tonometer
What are 3 examples of estates
Feelings of the dog
Easy way to unscrew the nut of the grinder
How to equip the attic floor in the house