Get Scared - Keep Myself Alive LYRIC VIDEO
How to Keep Yourself from Getting Scared While Home Alone
Many people find the prospect of being home alone scary. You may get nervous by strange sounds or noises when you're hanging out at home without others. Fortunately, there are some easy tricks you can use to stay calm at home even when no one else is around.
Staying Busy When Home Alone
Distract yourself with fun activities.If you're nervous about being home alone, the best way to stay busy is to find something to do. Instead of seeing being home alone as a burden, see it has a chance to have the full run of the house. Do something that you enjoy without worrying about annoying others.
- Think about all the entertainment devices you can now use. You can watch whatever you want on TV or play any games you want on the computer.
- If you usually can't play music too loud, now is your chance to blast the music as loud as you can.
- Think about any solitary activities you enjoy. Maybe your house is usually a little too noisy for you to, say, read a book. You could take advantage of the peace and quiet of an empty home and get some reading done.
Call a friend or family member.If you're feeling nervous, call someone. You will feel less alone if you're able to talk to a family member or friend. Have someone in mind to call in the event you get scared home alone.
- You may want let someone know ahead of time you may need to call if you get scared. That way, that person will be expecting your call.
- Try calling someone you haven't talked to in a while. If it's been a few weeks since you've talked to your grandmother, now may be a good time to catch up.
- If you don't like talking to someone on the phone, you can also talk to someone online. A video chat through a service like Skype can really make you feel less alone.
Be productive.If there are any chores you need to get done, focusing your energy there can distract you from being home alone. Think about anything you've been putting off. Instead of focusing on the anxiety of being home alone, channel your energy towards a specific task.
- If you're behind on any homework assignments, try to get them done. A quiet house may help you concentrate better.
- You could also do some chores. If there are dirty dishes in the sink, washing them may actually be calming.
Do some exercise.Exercise can keep your mind occupied. It can also reduce stress. Try to get your heart pumping a little if being home alone makes you nervous.
- If you have any at home gym equipment, like a treadmill, you could use this. You could also do something like push-ups, sit-ups, or running up and down the stairs.
- If you feel short of breath, take a break. You don't want to over exert yourself, especially when you're home alone.
Calming Down If Something Scares You
Acknowledge your mind is playing tricks on you.It's easy to let your thoughts spin out of control when you're anxious. If you, say, hear a strange noise, your mind may jump to the worse case scenario. Remember, your mind tends to play tricks on you when you're anxious. Try to be aware of what you're thinking, and take control of troublesome thoughts.
- Your brain can make you believe a lot of irrational things when you're anxious. Most of them are not true. When you start to get nervous, think to yourself, "This is just my brain playing a trick on me."
- Many people get nervous over strange sounds when home alone. When you hear a strange noise, look for a logical explanations instead of assuming there's an intruder in the house. For example, think something like, "I think that is an intruder, but that's my anxiety talking. I know I locked the doors. The cat probably knocked something over upstairs."
Question nervous thoughts.You should question any thoughts you have that don't seem rational when you're home alone. When you start to get scared over a particular scenario, stop and ask yourself something like, "Honestly, what is the worst thing that can happen here?"
- For example, you may get more nervous as it gets dark out. You may think something like, "I'm going to have a heart attack I'm so scared."
- Stop and question this. Ask yourself something like, "Am I really going to have a heart attack? What is the worst thing that could actually happen?"
- In reality, you know you won't have a heart attack just from being nervous. Say something to yourself like, "The worst thing that can happen is that I'll feel scared for a few hours. Feeling scared sucks, but it won't actually hurt me."
Practice deep breathing.Simply breathing can help release tension and ground you in reality. If you start to get nervous home alone, do some simple deep breathing exercises to calm down and return your mind to the present.
- Inhale through your nose. Make sure to direct your breath in such a way that your diaphragm rises while your chest remains relatively still. Hold the breath for a count of four.
- Exhale through your mouth. Try to spend seven seconds exhaling.
- Repeat deep breathing a few times. You should feel significantly calmer.
Visualize a calming scenario.Your imagination can really run wild when you're upset. Instead of letting your imagination scare you, redirect it. Envision a calming scenario when your thoughts start to spiral towards anxiety.
- When you start to feel nervous, go on a mental vacation. Imagine yourself somewhere relaxing where you can unwind.
- For example, picture yourself lying on a beach somewhere. Engage with all your senses. What does this scene look like, feel like, taste like? Close your eyes and imagine until you being to feel calm.
Helping Yourself Feel Safe
Let a neighbor know you'll be home alone.You will feel more at ease at home if you let someone know you're alone. This way, you will feel like you have someone to turn to in the event of an emergency.
- You can let your neighbors know yourself you'll be home alone. Ask them politely if you can let them know if you need anything.
- You can also have your parents let the neighbors know you'll be home alone.
Lock the doors and windows.If you feel secure and safe, you're more likely to feel relaxed at home alone. After you're left alone, go through and make sure all the doors and windows are locked. You will worry less about intruders if you know you're safely locked into your home.
Learn the numbers for emergency services.If you feel prepared, you will feel less scared. Make sure you have all the numbers on hand in the event of an emergency. In many areas, you will simply dial 9-1-1. However, in your area you may need to call a local police station or fire station.
Make a plan for emergencies.Having a plan can help you feel safe. While an emergency is unlikely, talk to your parents about a game plan in the event something goes wrong.
- Know who to call if anyone breaks in and having a hiding spot ready in your home. If it would make you feel better, you can have safety drills with your parents in which you practice how to act during an emergency.
QuestionWhat do you do when you hear footsteps but there is literally no one in the house?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA lot of things can sound like footsteps. Your house may be settling or you may be hearing something from outside. Sometimes, a noise from outdoors can sound like it's coming from the house.Thanks!
QuestionWhat to do when it's your first time staying home alone?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry to stay calm and follow the advice above. This should keep you calm, even if you're home alone. It's normal to be nervous the first time you're home aloneThanks!
QuestionWhat do you do when you hear sounds lying alone in bed?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIn 99% of the situations these are just the general, everyday noises that a house makes. Keep listening to see if there are distinctly human noises or irregular bangs and crashes. However, if you're convinced that there is something wrong, close and lock your door. If you feel in any danger, call the police for specific advice.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if you don't have a phone with you and you're to afraid to get it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry to look at the situation rationally. There's a good chance nothing bad will happen to you if you go get your phone. Try to stay calm and find your phone. You will feel more secure if you have it.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if you're afraid that someone is going to pull into your driveway?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerRemember this fear is irrational. It's unlikely anyone will come to your home when you're alone. You can also have an emergency plan in place in the event someone dangerous shows up. This should help you stay calm.Thanks!
QuestionWhat it if you are scared that your parents will not return?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerRemind yourself this is an irrational fear. Your parents will be home soon and you will feel better then, even if you're scared nowThanks!
QuestionWhat if there's a killer with a gun?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCall the police immediately. If possible, get out of the house and seek safety elsewhere.Thanks!
QuestionWhat about if you're scared of ghosts?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerRemind yourself that ghosts are probably not real and, if they are, it's unlikely they want to hurt you.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do you do when it turns into paranoia? I'm literally crying right now and the creaks and noises in my home are preventing me from sleeping. I haven't slept until five in the morning and it's making me feel horrible. What do I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTake a few deep breaths. This should calm you down. If you're having trouble sleeping, the best thing you can do is focus your energy elsewhere. Try to read a book or watch a movie until you feel sleepy.Thanks!
QuestionI love the movie 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', but that is about murder, and I am paranoid about somebody breaking in my house and/or being hurt/murdered. Would this be a disturbance?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt may be a bad idea to watch scary movies when you're home alone. Pick a more lighthearted movie if you think Who Framed Roger Rabbit will scare you.Thanks!
What if your phone is dead, you don't have a charger and you hear someone breaking into your house?
What if your home alone lying in bed and you can hear your dog barking as if something is wrong? What should you do?
What if you have dreams about being kidnapped
What do you do when your home alone and the power went out for a long time?
What do you do if you're home alone and a person breaks into your house?
Short Video: How to Keep Yourself from Getting Scared While...
The easiest way to avoid feeling scared when you’re home alone is to keep yourself busy. Watch a movie, play a videogame, or call your friend and talk to them on the phone. Catch up on your to-do list or do chores around the house. If you do get scared, inhale slowly, hold your breath, and exhale slowly to calm yourself down.
- If you play a game or watch a movie to help yourself calm down, do not play or watch something scary. This could make your anxiety worse.
- If you feel sad and scared try texting a friend or a family member, it'll help you calm down.
- Get alarms and motion detectors installed in your house, that way you will know it is safer.
- Try wearing earplugs to block out noises that scare you.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Русский: , Italiano: , Português:
Oct 23, 2019
Feb 15, 2019
Oct 12, 2019
Jan 15, 2019
Aug 29, 2019
Aug 28, 2019
Oct 6, 2019
Jul 8, 2019
Mar 19, 2019
Jul 5, 2019
Nov 8, 2019
Dec 25, 2019
Feb 22, 2019
Jun 6, 2019
Jun 30, 2019
Jun 30, 2019
May 20, 2019
Mar 12, 2019
Nov 27, 2019
Apr 18, 2019
Video: Get Scared - Keep myself alive (Sub. Español)
Wedding Dress Challenge: Your Fitness Plan
FDA Panel Rejects Two Hot Flash Drugs
Why Your Child Needs the HPV Vaccine
Match Your Bridal Jewelry to Your Bridal Bouquets
How much is Kim Kardashian worth The KardashianJenner family by numbers
How to Evaluate a Diamond Grading Certificate
Roberto Cavalli SpringSummer 2019 Collection – Milan Fashion Week
Dark Chocolate Avocado Cookies
Kourtney Kardashian Said the Most Savage Thing to Tristan Thompson When He Held True for the First Time
Long Weekend Beauty Essentials: 12 Products You Need toPack
How to Overcome an Addiction
Rachel Zoe Resort 2012 Collection
Nicholas Sparks Announces Release Date for His Newest Novel
How to Use Bobby Pins to Create Hairstyles