How to contain a Himalayan cat?
Choosing a pet, pay attention to this breed of cats like the Himalayan. But before buying, weigh the pros and cons, learn the features of maintenance and care.
Breed description, external data
The history of the origin of the Himalayan cat originates in America, where it was obtained in the middle of the last century as a result of the crossing of two breeds: Persian white and Siamese. From the first, the animal inherited the fluffy coat, from the second - the characteristic color with blackouts and beautiful blue eyes.
Himalayan cats have a well-developed rather muscular body with strong short legs and a straight tail proportional to the body. The head is wide, has a rounded slightly flattened shape. The ears are small, set wide apart, their tips are rounded.
Decorate the appearance and attract the attention of the big eyes of a beautiful pure blue tone. Wool is long, fluffy. The color in most parts of the body is cream or white, and dark at the tips of the muzzle, paws, ears and tail.Weight ranges from 4-6 kilograms, males are usually larger.
Some felinologists (zoologists specializing in the study of domestic cats) believe that a Himalayan cat cannot be a separate independent species, although it has its own characteristics. Such animals belong to the subspecies of the Persian breed. But this does not affect the popularity of fluffy beauties: they are very popular in Europe and America.
Interesting fact! The name of the breed is not associated with the origin of the cat and is given because of the characteristic color characteristic of Himalayan rabbits.
The nature of the Himalayan cat has such basic features:
- These are very tender pets who love affection on the part of the owner and adore attention. They gladly sit down on their knees and enjoy the scratching and stroking. At the same time, it is impossible to name such cats as compulsive.
- Favorite attached to people, but is able to endure loneliness, so that the animal is suitable for a busy person.
- Himalayan cats are friendly, non-aggressive, get along well on the same territory with other pets and condescendingly treat strangers and children if they do not overstep the line. But the pet will not scratch, he will just try to retreat and hide.
- The pets have a well-developed intellect, they are curious, they detect changes in the mood of the owner and react to them.
- From the Siamese breed the Himalayan cat inherited activity and playfulness, but it contains the degree and dimension of the Persians. This is the real golden mean, so that the pet will not constantly run and jump, but it will support an interesting fun game with pleasure.
- A pet can be called quiet and undemanding: he is not used to making sounds without any reason, and even if he wants to receive something, he will not achieve what he wants with a drawn loud meow. This intelligent animal will remind of itself and show what it wants, for example, it will attract the attention of the owner and sit near the bowl waiting for a portion of food.
If we study the detailed description of the Himalayan breed, we can conclude that it has good enough health. Sometimes there is a congenital disease inherited from Persian cats - polycystic kidney disease. But the years of selection allowed to reduce the incidence rate. In addition, proper nutrition will help reduce exacerbations and achieve a good quality of life.
Himalayans lick the fur and often swallow it, and this can provoke intestinal obstruction. To avoid this trouble, the pet needs to be regularly combed out.
Another problem is overweight. If the pet is lazy, inactive and not moving enough, and also has constant access to food, it will begin to rapidly gain weight, which is harmful for the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. The owner needs to carefully monitor the diet.
How to care?
Caring for a beautiful Himalayan cat includes several important points:
- Himalayans are incredibly clean, so regularly change the filler in the tray and keep the stove and other accessories clean.
- Regular combing allows you to remove loose hair and dead skin particles, as well as provide your pet with a pleasant massage. To comb a cat with a special comb follows two or three times a week, while moulting - every day.
- Due to the peculiarities of the structure of the face, secretions can accumulate in the eyes, and they must be carefully removed daily, rubbing the problem areas with a damp cotton pad.
- If you plan to cut the claws,This procedure to start the procedure from an early age. Trimming is done every two to three weeks. But the claw is required in any case.
- Contamination from the ears is removed as it appears with a cotton swab soaked in water.
- Needs regular bathing. They are carried out as the wool is contaminated - every 1-2 months. Use specialized shampoos that improve the quality of wool.
What and how to feed?
Cat nutrition should be balanced, and the necessary nutrients contain industrial specialized feed: wet or dry, but of high quality, belonging to the class of premium or superpremium. Natural food is allowed, but healthy. In the menu should not be present fried, spicy, semi-finished, floury, fatty, sweets.
The frequency of feeding kittens and waiting for the offspring of cats - four times a day. After reaching the age of six months, the number of meals is reduced to three times. Adult cats over one and a half years recommended two meals. Since there is a tendency to fullness, the master's task is to control the portions and not to overeat.
Recommendations to present and future owners
Finally, recommendations to the owners of Himalayan cats and those who are only going to find a fluffy four-legged friend:
- In a timely manner, do the vaccinations shown and use anthelmintic agents to control parasites.
- If you plan to arrange a pet walk, then use a harness with a leash and choose clean places. And in this case, give the anthelmintic drugs to the animal more often. Also, make sure that he does not pick up anything from the ground.
- Schooling to the tray, start at an early age. But the animal is smart, so problems should not arise. You can use a cloth moistened in the urine or a specialized spray, so that the pet understands where to cope with the natural need.
- Give your pet some toys with which he will entertain and frolic in your absence.
If you decide to start a fluffy and affectionate Himalayan cat, then now you will definitely get the content if you follow the above tips. Good luck and understanding with the pet!
Wicker mandala ojo de dios
Succulents on nails, or manicure from fresh flowers
Learning letters - how to help a child learn them quickly and easily
Beetroot salad with carrots
How many sheets of veneer in plywood