How to cook real croissants?
If you have tried real croissants at least once in your life, then you probably just fell in love with this divine baking. Do you want to make the same croissants at home? Then learn how to do it right.
A bit of history
Surprisingly, the French crescent shaped buns, which are so popular, actually appeared not in France, but in Austria. Croissants began to bake in the distant XIII century. According to one of the legends, such a bun was first baked by a Vienna baker Peter Wendler in honor of Austria’s victory over the Ottoman Empire.
Bakers worked at night and suddenly heard how enemy soldiers were digging. Of course, almost immediately the Austrian soldiers learned about it from the bakers. In the end, the victory was won, and Peter was so inspired by her that he baked his famous delicious bun.
In France, the croissant first appeared in 1770, and Marie Antoinette brought it there, and it was she who introduced the tradition of serving such a dish for breakfast. And croissants became popular later, when the first bakery opened in Paris, in which they baked such bread.
It is worth noting that it was the French bakers who made croissants the way everyone knows them today, so France can rightly be considered the second full-fledged homeland. The name of these buns is also French and it translates as “crescent”.
What are croissants like?
Initially, such buns were baked from puff pastry and without filling. Today, croissants are prepared with a wide variety of fillings: ham, cheese, jams, jam, condensed milk, delicate creams, chocolate and much more. The dough is still used puff, and it is added quite a large amount of butter (the first time it was done by the French).
It should be noted right away that all ingredients should be quality, fresh and natural. For the dough, you need flour, yeast, water, milk, eggs, salt, sugar, and butter.
By the way, the oil must certainly be very fat! The best option is 82% fat. And flour is better to use the highest grade, it will provide the perfect consistency and porosity of the finished dough.
You need to prepare the dough in a special way and for a long time, so if you do not have time or desire, you can make croissants from ready-made dough.It is much easier, but many French chefs believe that the dough is alive and has a soul, so it needs the warmth of the hands of the hostess. But it's up to you to decide.
A variety of ingredients can be used as a filling, for example, cheese, chocolate, ham or condensed milk.
How to cook the dough?
How to cook delicious and airy croissants? Start with a test. If you decide to do it yourself, then we offer you a traditional classic recipe. Prepare the following ingredients:
- 500 grams of flour;
- 100-125 ml of water;
- 100-125 ml of milk;
- 4-5 tablespoons of sugar;
- 1 teaspoon of salt;
- 1 egg;
- 20 grams of fresh yeast;
- 200 grams of butter.
- Sift flour in a bowl with salt. It is necessary to do this, as the wholemeal dough will not be airy and will not rise during baking.
- Now add the yeast and sugar, mix everything gently.
- Now you can add egg, water and milk.
- Knead the dough. You can do this with a mixer, but still it is best to work with your hands so that the croissants absorb your heat. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes until smooth.
- Form a ball of dough, put it in a bowl,Cover with a plastic bag or food wrap and store for 1.5–2 hours in a warm place so that it rises.
- While the dough fits, do the butter, it also needs to be prepared. Move it in advance from the freezer (for many, it is stored there) in the refrigerator. And half an hour before the start of the dough preparation process, put the butter on the table. It should be chilled, not cold.
- Now wrap the dough in the food film (you can put it in the bag) and start to knead with your hands or beat with a rolling pin until you have a flat rectangle in front of you.
- Now let's remember about the test. When its volume doubles, proceed to rolling. First, sprinkle the table with flour so that the dough does not stick to it (it is better to sprinkle your hands, too). Now flatten the ball of dough with your hands, and then take the rolling pin and start rolling it. As a result, you should get a rectangular layer 1-1.5 centimeter thick.
- Place the rectangle vertically and place on one half (4-5 centimeters receding from the edge) prepared oil. Cover it with the second half of the layer and roll out the dough until a layer 1-1.5 centimeters thick is formed.In the process of rolling periodically pour flour.
- Now place the bed horizontally and wrap its edges, connecting them in the middle.
- Wrap the dough in parchment (or in foil) and put it in the fridge for half an hour.
- Remove the dough and place it in front of you so that the edge joining line is horizontal. Roll out the dough again.
- Wrap one edge of the dough and cover it with the other (there should be three layers in total).
- Wrap the dough in parchment again and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Get out the dough and again do all the things you did before: roll it out, and then wrap the edges. Put the dough in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Done!
Options for filling
The croissants with the filling are incredibly tasty! We offer several options for filling.
Make chocolate cream. To do this, melt 100 grams of dark chocolate in a water bath (it should not be too liquid), add 30 grams of butter, 1 tablespoon of milk and a teaspoon of brandy. All mix and cool.
Use berries or fruits. Just chop them and mix with sugar if they are too sour.Try unusual combinations and improvise.
Make the cheese and ham stuffing. Ham cut into small cubes, and rub the cheese on a large grater. Mix everything and use as a filling.
Cook the air croissants with condensed milk. It is best to use boiled condensed milk, it will not spread in the baking process.
Cheese filling is tasty and healthy. 200 grams of curd powder to uniformity on a blend or wipe through a sieve. Add the egg, 3-4 tablespoons of sugar and a bag of vanillin, mix everything.
How to cook?
So, you have a dough and stuffing. Here's what to do next:
- Roll the dough into a rectangular layer, cut into two parts in length. Zigzag each part into triangles. The thickness of the test should not exceed 4-5 millimeters.
- Position the triangle with the base towards you, place the filling, retreating from the edges 1 centimeter.
- Now start wrapping the filling in the dough, forming a roll. As a result, the top of the triangle will be at the top.
- Form a crescent from the resulting roll.Make the rest of the croissants in the same way.
- Brush the surface with a beaten egg so that it does not crack.
- Put the croissants on a baking sheet greased with butter.
- Bake at a temperature of 190 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Bon appetit to you and your loved ones!
Corporate in Sevastopol
Hold on Monday 11 killer anecdotes to charge you with energy for the whole day
What should not lie to a man
What is Hugge, or New Trend of Life in Harmony
And I fly hunting: features of popular airlines in the world
Old furniture decor