How to cook delicious Chalagach?
If you like meat, you probably respect the kebab. But the usual kebab - it is somehow trite, although very tasty. Chalagac will become a more appetizing and unusual dish. And what is this? And how to cook it?
This mysterious word "Chalagach"
“Chalagach” is an Armenian dish, which is a pork shish kebab, but it is prepared not from pure pulp, but from the rib part, in which meat is especially tender and tasty. Generally, "Chalagach" is customarily cooked on charcoal, but if this is not possible, you can use a grill or even an oven (it's for sure there is any mistress).
By the way, any experienced chef will say that, ideally, the meat on the bone should be so tender that it will practically melt in the mouth, and this is the highest praise for the cooker. But how to achieve this? Follow the directions given in the recipe. But still there are some secrets and tricks, but almost no one reveals them.
How to cook?
The recipe for cooking "Chalagach" is quite simple.But besides the traditional, there are variations.
The classic "Chalagach", as you have already managed to understand, is preparing on the coals. And here are the ingredients you need:
- 500 grams of pork loin on the bone;
- 2 onions;
- several bunches of fresh basil;
- pepper and salt to taste.
For the preparation of snacks, that is, pickled onions:
- 1 onion;
- 20 ml of apple cider vinegar;
- 50 ml of beet juice (it is used for giving a snack a beautiful red shade);
- salt to taste
- First, the brisket must be well washed in running cool water. All veins, as well as excess fat, are removed so that they do not interfere with the taste of the pulp. If the pieces are small, they are ready. If big, chop them up.
- Now you can go to the marinating. Onion cut into half rings. Basil wash and also cut or narvite. In principle, you can use dried herbs, but fresh is more aromatic, and also contains juice that will soak up the meat and give it tenderness and a wonderful smell. Now mix the salt with onions and basil and add this mixture to the meat, mix well and leave for three or four hours.
- While the meat is marinating, pickle the onions.To do this, cut it into rings, combine with vinegar, beet juice and salt, leave for about half an hour. The excess marinade then drain, they are no longer required.
- Now the finished loin can be put on the skewers in such a way that they run along practically near the bone.
- Fry the kebab on the coals for about 20-25 minutes until fully cooked.
- Serve Chalagach with marinated onions, greens and pita bread.
Pork Chalagac can be grilled.
- 2 kg of bone loin;
- 1 kg of onions;
- 1 pack of seasonings "Provencal herbs" (you can also use another if you wish);
- a glass of white wine;
- pepper and salt to taste.
- Meat should be washed, cleaned and, if necessary, chopped.
- Then cut the onions.
- Wash each piece with salt and seasoning. Now lay the meat and onions in a pan in layers.
- Pour the meat with onion wine, cover everything with a lid (by the diameter it should be less than the pan) and put the decay. Leave the loin to marinate for three hours.
- Now heat the grill and fry the pieces on each side for about 10-15 minutes (depending on the temperature), so that a light brown crust appears.
If you do not have a grill and your own land plot with barbecue, then try to cook an equally tasty Chalagach in the oven. Here is what you need for this:
- 1 kg of pork loin;
- 1 lemon;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 25 ml of sunflower or olive oil;
- several tufts of basil;
- pepper and salt to taste.
- Meat should be washed, cleaned from the veins and cut into portions.
- Then cook the marinade. To do this, remove the lemon zest, rubbed it on a grater (you can rub it directly on the lemon, then you immediately clean it). Wring out the citrus itself. Mix lemon juice and zest with oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- Mix the meat with the marinade and leave for a couple of hours.
- Now preheat the oven to about 20 degrees. Take a baking sheet and grease it with a small amount of butter (you can pre-cover it with foil to avoid burning), put the pieces of loin in it. Send everything to the oven for about 20-30 minutes.
How to serve?
Chalagach is traditionally served with pickled onions, as well as with pita bread and greens. Armenians do not spoil such a self-sufficient dish with any side dishes and salads, which allows you to fully enjoy the aroma and taste of the most delicate meat.
Some useful tips:
- The more meat is marinated, the better, so it is advisable to leave it overnight. But if time is short, then a few hours will suffice.
- To make the flesh really tender, you should take a responsible approach to its preparation. So, you can not overcook it in any case. Ideally, it should form a light golden crust, under which will be almost airy meat. And that is why “Chalagach” is best cooked not over an open fire or grilled, but on charcoal. Heat emanates from them, but it does not burn, but slowly and evenly heats and browns the pieces a little.
- Whatever recipe you use, instead of traditionally used as a spice of basil, you can choose other herbs, for example, cumin, cumin, marjoram, ground cilantro, red pepper and so on. The amount of spices can be changed to your taste, but do not overdo them, otherwise they will interrupt the flavor and taste of pork.
- The length of each piece should be approximately palm, so if you have acquired a large piece, then the ribs will need to be chopped. But you can ask this seller.
- It is not necessary to cut off all the fat, in this case, the meat can get quite dry.
- Instead of pork, you can use other meat, but certainly fat.For example, beef can get dry and coarse. But lamb is fine.
Now you know how to make a fragrant and tender "Chalagach". Let this dish take a special place on your table!
How to congratulate your grandfather on the holiday
How to properly sharpen kitchen knives
Why the torrent does not work
How to get a car loan
Where to do an MRI of the brain
Over-salted gravy or it is too liquid. Here are some tips on how to fix it